The Cardiovascular Sciences and Perfusion Medicine Program is committed to the education, mentoring and professional development of future cardiovascular perfusionists. Our goal is to produce highly skilled, competent next generation leaders in the field of cardiovascular science and perfusion medicine. A 24-month program, integrating didactic and clinical practicum course-work, provides the education for an entry-level applicant to achieve a Certificate in Perfusion Clinical Competence and a Master of Science Degree in Cardiovascular Sciences and Perfusion Medicine from Hofstra University.
Edward Delaney and Joseph Greco
Hempstead, NY 11549-1000
In State Tuition:
Out of State Tuition:
- A Baccalaureate Degree that must include:
- minimum of 6 credits of Biology
- minimum of 6 credits of Chemistry
- minimum of 6 credits of Anatomy and Physiology
- minimum of 6 credits of college math
- minimum of 3 credits of Physics
- Only course work with a grade of C or higher is acceptable. Grade point average of at least 2.75 from the above course work completed (scale based on A=4.0) and 2.75 overall GPA.
- Submission of college transcripts of all course work.
- Submission of three (3) letters of recommendation. Letters can be from the following sources, attesting to the applicant’s capacity and potential for master’s study:
- The director or a faculty member from the most recent academic program attended (if applicant has been a student in the last five years);
- A person who can attest to the applicant’s professional work.
- In-person interview with Admissions Committee.
- Must observe a cardiopulmonary bypass cardiac procedure before acceptance.
- Some experience is preferred in one of the following allied health care professions:
- Perfusion Assistant
- Respiratory Therapist
- ECMO Technologist
- Cardiac Care Nurse
- Emergency Medical Technologist
- Cardiac Diagnostic Laboratory Technologist
- Cardiac Rehabilitation Physiologist
- Essays, one of which to be written on-site following interview.
- Comprehensive background check.
- Student Health Requirements: Proof of physical examination within one year of application, student liability insurance and health insurance, current immunizations for MMR, Chickenpox, Hepatitis B, Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis
MS in Perfusion
Catch the latest Perfusion news or peruse our article archive.