Website UCLA Health
Critical Care Transport Sr. Perfusionist
You can make a difference in people’s lives every day. When you join UCLA Health, you’ll be working at an institution that provides leading-edge care to the people of L.A. and throughout the world. We provide our team members with the environment and support to do amazing work, because each and every one of them plays a vital role in our commitment to care.
Under the order of the Attending Physician, the Transport ECMO Perfusionist provides patient care in the form of support services of extracorporeal circulation and/or oxygenation, myocardial and/or organ protection and preservation, blood component and drug/fluid administration both in Ronald Reagan hospital but also at outside hospitals on mobile ECMO transportation and DCD organ procurement harvests. This includes assembly and operation of the extracorporeal circuits, operation of heater, coolers, coagulation monitors etc. This may include operation of devices such as adult IABP, ECMO and CPS. The perfusionist will assume call responsibility and accountability in the provision of advanced complex ECMO care for adult, neonatal and pediatric patients during mobile ECMO transports to outside hospitals alongside the critical care transport nurse and respiratory therapist. The transport perfusionist will travel in either ground or air transportation to outside hospitals for either ECMO initiation with the ECMO team, or to provide transient ECMO support as a method of organ revival to aid in DCD procurements. When not performing transport duties, the perfusionist will be responsible for providing bedside ECMO care for adult, pediatric or neonatal patients.
- Graduate of an accredited Perfusion program with a BA/BS
- ABCP and BCLS certifications
- At least 2 years of adult and 6 months of pediatric experience
- Knowledge, skills, and ability to operate all routine equipment, special devices, monitors.
- Advanced knowledge of human anatomy, physiology, and biochemistry in the adult, pediatric and neonate populations
- Knowledge of several cardiac diseases, defects and congenital anomalies. Knowledge of a variety of organ preservations.
- Knowledge of sterile and perfusion supplies: extracorporeal oxygenators, tubing circuits, and cannulae for adult, pediatric and infants.
- Knowledge of blood components, plasma composition of the human body and use of blood products in association of support by extracorporeal circuits and devices.
- Ability to follow orders, take directions, and implement written perfusion protocols. Utilize formula and applied mathematics in associated application of perfusion protocols.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively during operation of extracorporeal support devices and providing patient care. Ability to write clearly and neatly while recording patient data and performing other clinical and other tasks.
- Ability to organize and prioritize patient care needs while performing several tasks at once in a clinical setting.
- Ability to learn and apply JCAHO, CDC, and AABB standards and protocols that apply to operating room procedures and departmental policies and protocols. Knowledge of sterile techniques in the delivery of patient care.
- Ability and knowledge of medical and perfusion terminology to converse freely.
- Ability to work and cooperate in a flexible manner in the delivery of patient care demonstrating a cohesive team approach.
- Ability to teach and demonstrate ideas of routine scientific application.
- Ability to conduct oneself in a healthy and professional manner regarding sterile dress code etiquette and communicate in a professional manner.
- Experience with a variety of Heart-Lung Machines, Centrifugal Pumps, IABP, Implantable Ventricular Assist Devices, Intraoperative Autotransfusion Devices, Blood Saturation Monitors, Hemodynamic Pressure Transducers, ECMO, Anticoagulation monitors.
- This position will include variable shifts based on departmental needs and call to be assigned by the director. Must be able to respond in a timely manner.
Apply online at https://www.uclahealthcareers.org/job/15095967/critical-care-transport-sr-perfusionist-los-angeles-ca/