The Push Towards Electronic Data Documentation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
stevep1138@aol.com View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote stevep1138@aol.com Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: The Push Towards Electronic Data Documentation
    Posted: Nov 17 2015 at 10:37am
The Push Towards Electronic Data Documentation

As a Perfusionist with over 44 years of experience I know, beyond a doubt, that the future of Perfusion lies in the ability to transition to electronic data documentation and recording. For too long Perfusionists have been resistant to change. The major question is, why? With the technological advances in the OR and all around us in the hospital environment, as a whole, we remain stuck in a static phase of manually recording and charting data. The problem is that it is an outdated method that is still commonly accepted as the “norm”.

If we stop to assess the situation from a broader perspective it becomes clear that, not only are we impeding patient safety improvement, but also simultaneously creating an atmosphere that poses a direct threat to job security in the future. With a federal mandate to transition to an EMR by 2020 it is time our community begin to take a serious look at the options that are available to us. The majority of EMR providers do not have a Perfusion module as part of their system. Which leaves us as an outlier in a constantly evolving and advancing medical field.

I, personally, have utilized an electronic recording method for over 10 years with massive success. No patient has left the OR without a printed and electronically saved Perfusion record. It has provided the ability to be more efficient in my observation of patient vitals, more accurately record information, and capture data from fields where manual techniques are still being utilized throughout the country. I no longer have to use a clipboard and pen. Although the transition presented a challenge, the benefits that have resulted in the change far outweigh any negative connotations associated with it.

We have an obligation to provide patients with the best resources at our disposal, and the bottom line is simple. We do not, and there is constant resistance to change. I propose, however, that change is not always a bad thing. With the ability to streamline our professional obligations and provide the multitude of value added benefits that are associated with doing so, why hesitate?

Please remember that a future generation of Perfusionists rely on us to make informed decisions as to “best method” practices, and are much more technologically advanced than my generation. At some point there will begin to be a major shift in standard practice, and should I find myself behind the curve there are some obvious implications that arise.

I ask you to consider your stance on the matter, and think critically about the application of such programs as they apply to you, specifically.

Stephen C. Peterson – CEO/President of PDS Medical Solutions
PDS Perfusion Pro, a heart beat ahead of the rest
 Post Reply Post Reply