Pump Prime with 0.9% saline or 3% Saline

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sidkern View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sidkern Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Pump Prime with 0.9% saline or 3% Saline
    Posted: Nov 04 2009 at 10:57am
Hello!    Shocked

I believe you would like to use a priming solution that was not only isotonic
but also ph, physiologically, and ionically balanced with your patients blood.

Are you going to be a dialysis tech or a perfusionist?  0.9% NaCl can be used to mix drugs and as a KVO solution simply because not too much will be administered to the patient.

Anesthesia recommendations are considered always, but remember YOU are the expert in the priming solutions to be used in YOUR pump. I have found that once anestheia was informed WHY we use physiologically balanced solutions in perfusion
and perhaps in the CVOR in general, they are quick to agree. I know of several CVORs
that totally use perfusion prime as the solution that anesthesia also utilizes during all CV cases.  Cost is really not a consideration: 1 liter of 0.9% costs the hospital about 90 cents and 1 liter of Plasmalyte may be 95 cents.  Smile

Normal Saline should never be considered as a priming solution except perhaps in
cell salvage, where most of it would be spun off and discarded in the waste bag
before packed cells or final product is delivered to the patient.

In my experience Plasmalyte A and Normosol are the routinely accepted priming soluitons. Now Normosol R contains 3 meq of Mg.

Keep on Pumping!

Sid Kern
racine View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Quote racine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 11:50am
What is the rational for NaCl as the prime?  I would caution you that Hyper-Natremia could be a consequence along with fluid overloading as well.  Please enlighten us to this shift from the norm...
Thanks,
Racine
FPerf View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Quote FPerf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 10:45am
One of our Anesthesiologist has been discussing the use of 0.9% or 3% Saline as our pump prime.  We have found some studies discussing the use of these saline solutions for volume during bypass.  But we have not seen any study using them as the prime solution.

So anyone using one of these solutions as or in their prime.  We would like to hear from you.

Thanks
F Herr
 Post Reply Post Reply