Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ctitko View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ctitko Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Perfusion as a career
    Posted: Apr 26 2009 at 7:41pm
I am contemplating a change of careers and am looking for something stable, after much looking I believe that the medical area is  a good fit.  I am looking for advice on schools and which ones might be best at accepting past credits, I have a BS and a MSCS. 

Can someone help me get in touch with a clinical perfusionist that I might speak to or suggest a web site that has conversations about this filed as a career?

Thanks

Adam View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 11:23am
Well I am not a perfusionist , yet; but it wasn't until I became a surgical tech before finding out about perfusion.  I am currently enrolled at SUNY Upstate Medical for CV perfusion and so far its been a great program.

If your trying to learn more about the field or career from someone with first hand experience, I suggest you contact your local hospital (depending if they do open-heart surgeries) and ask to speak to a OR director. Leave a message, and contact info, saying that your interested in perfusion and if they may suggest a perfusionist that works there who might be able to get you in for a case observation. That opportunity wiil allow  you to see what its all about, before you really commit to persuing the education and all that goes into becoming a perfusionist. Also, contact the schools that are listed on this websites education> perfusion schools list. There are a few schools, but depending on your location, it maybe likely that you'll have to make a move. Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply