MEMBER SERVICES  :Login
MEMBER SERVICES  : Logoff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How much $ can I expect to make after graduating?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tds2n View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tds2n Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: How much $ can I expect to make after graduating?
    Posted: Apr 25 2009 at 2:58pm
Just wonder, if those that have recently graduated to tell the range in starting salary.

Thanks.
BloodMan View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Quote BloodMan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: May 20 2009 at 11:37am
I would say in the range of $60k - $80k depending on where you go...
oldcpbman View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Quote oldcpbman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: May 21 2009 at 7:38am
I hope you chose to go into the profession for other reasons than money????If this was your main motivator, you won't last long.
tds2n View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Quote tds2n Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: May 21 2009 at 12:43pm
No it's not my main motivator. Unfortunately though, money is a necessity to life - it comes in very handy when it's time to pay the bills.. So, whatever I chose I would like to be able to support myself and family with and be somewhat comfortable. Money isn't everything, but if this paid only 15,000 a year I doubt you or many other people would jump through the hoops to become a perfusionist..  I've shadowed, and questioned some perfusionist. I like the work, just want to make sure it's worth the return on investment for school..

Thank you for the brow beating, would you happen to have e a decent answer to offer as well, or only lessons of morality?
Chukhog View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Quote Chukhog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: May 21 2009 at 5:36pm
tds2n
Why are you so defensive about somebody making sure your motives are correct for entering the field of perfusion.  I suspect oldcpbman has been around in the field of perfusion a long time as I have.  We have seen many people come and go.  Many thought they were starting a career that was going to pay loads of money with little work or responsibility.  If you think he was brow beating you or giving lessons on morality you appear to have some attitude problems.  Wait until a surgeon screams and yells at you for something that is neither you fault nor your responsibility.  I believe that one of the problems with the field of perfusion is that we as a profession have not stuck together to share information, improve patient care, promote 'good' perfusion, and to help weed out people who have no business behind a pump.  There are perfusionists, and there are 'pump techs'.  Which one are you?  I hope you are one who wants to stick together with other perfusionists in learning and sharing information for the good of the whole profession.       As far as the salary range goes, there are many things that influence that.  Geographical location, type of employment, ie: hospital employed, private contract group, surgeon employed, university vs community hospital, etc.  As bloodman shared earlier, a starting range of $60,000.00 to $80,000.00 total employment package is as good as an estimate as any.  Where you go from there is up to you.  Good luck to you.  Don't be afraid to take criticism and encouragement from us old timers.  We too want what is best for the perfusion profession.  Especially people who are in it for the right reasons. 
tds2n View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Quote tds2n Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: May 21 2009 at 5:52pm
Understandable. I as most people don't like for others to make assumptions based on limited knowledge. Such as me being in it for the right reasons. I suppose that's why I'm on this site, trying to gain insight from those who have been there before, so that I do not make incorrect assumptions.

Right now I'm finishing up the last of some postbac pre reqs. I'm a 26 yr old adult student who has decided I no long want to work in marketing, I want something more challenging and somewhat more purposefull to wake up to and do for the rest of my life.

I've been doing a lot of reasearch on perfusion and I do like it. Also, from what I hear the pay is decent, as well as the 1 yr certification, so that I can begin to build a life and careeer as soon as possible.

So far I've narrowed it down to this or trying for an anesthisia assistant program.

$60 to 80$ is not too bad. I've looked on other sites (salary.com) and they list the AVG to be about 96,000 for perfusionist as a whole.. I could live with that. I'm also continueing to shadow to make sure that this is defenitely what I want.

I appreciate all and any insight available. I just don't like when someones first reaction is negativity.
racine View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Quote racine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: May 30 2009 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Chukhog

tds2n
 Wait until a surgeon screams and yells at you for something that is neither you fault nor your responsibility.  I believe that one of the problems with the field of perfusion is that we as a profession have not stuck together to share information, improve patient care, promote 'good' perfusion, and to help weed out people who have no business behind a pump.  There are perfusionists, and there are 'pump techs'. 

Unfortunately he has a point here.  Your not exactly the low man on the totem pole and your working in a hot arena most of the time dealing with many egos.  I have frequently observed many veterans and rookies try to take advantage of many well meaning and intentioned newbies for the sake of money, etc.  We are in the business of caring for our fellow man and we deserved to be reimbursed justly.  It can be the case that employers are looking for the bottom dollar rather than talent.  You also cannot expect hospital adminitstration to back you up when you have to deal with an unreasonable or tempestous or abusive surgeon or anesthesiologist.- your downhill...  I have tried to mentor a few individuals only to have them focus on the money and not the goal.   If you want to make a lot of mullah, find another field...
Racine

Edited by racine - May 30 2009 at 12:51pm
mivpl View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Quote mivpl Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: May 31 2009 at 9:58pm
I think in salary no graduation is depend on salary if you are smart you can earn more. 
delux View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Quote delux Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 12:47pm
just think of graduating first before you think of salary..money is not always the reason to strive hard ok? goodluck!
powerade View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Quote powerade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: Nov 07 2009 at 12:39am
Originally posted by racine

Originally posted by Chukhog

tds2n
 Wait until a surgeon screams and yells at you for something that is neither you fault nor your responsibility.  I believe that one of the problems with the field of perfusion is that we as a profession have not stuck together to share information, improve patient care, promote 'good' perfusion, and to help weed out people who have no business behind a pump.  There are perfusionists, and there are 'pump techs'. 

Unfortunately he has a point here.  Your not exactly the low man on the totem pole and your working in a hot arena most of the time dealing with many egos.  I have frequently observed many veterans and rookies try to take advantage of many well meaning and intentioned newbies for the sake of money, etc.  We are in the business of caring for our fellow man and we deserved to be reimbursed justly.  It can be the case that employers are looking for the bottom dollar rather than talent.  You also cannot expect hospital adminitstration to back you up when you have to deal with an unreasonable or tempestous or abusive surgeon or anesthesiologist.- your downhill...  I have tried to mentor a few individuals only to have them focus on the money and not the goal.   If you want to make a lot of mullah, find another field...

Racine

It's weird that salary.com says 108k yet the jobs ads you see are only like 30-40$/hr. In fact it's so rare for me (maybe just for me?) to find ads that offer more than 45$/hr.

How much can you expect after gaining experience in the field? Say after 5 years?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>