Which School?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
wilder3103 View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote wilder3103 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Which School?
    Posted: Apr 13 2009 at 6:57pm
I was recently accepted to the perfusion programs at both Milwaukee School of Engineering and Rush University Medical Center.  Does either have a better reputation among the perfusion community.  Any other help in making my decision would be welcomed also.  Thanks!
wilder3103 View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Quote wilder3103 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: Apr 13 2009 at 6:59pm
****better reputation among the perfusion community?
stevetech2 View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Quote stevetech2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: Apr 14 2009 at 3:20pm
I was accepted into 2 perfusion schools in 2000, and my decisional process was based on multiple factors.  I was 30 and married, thus my deliberations had many more factors than if I were single.  Cost of living including housing, utilities, transportation, etc were very important as I would be unable to work for the duration of my schooling.

Working opportunities for my wife were on the list, although as an R.N. she was employable anywhere in the country as soon as she arrived in the new location.  Her pay and benefits varied greatly on a regional basis, so investigating her options was paramount in this process.

School reputation was a factor in my decision, though not as significant as the others.  Any school can graduate fine perfusionists, or perfusionists of lesser ability.  The deciding factor of how well a student or new grad will perform in the O.R. is the person.  Hard work and dedication always show through, regardlless of where you graduate from. Steve Ford MLT(ASCP), BS, CCP, LCP, LP
boblap View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Quote boblap Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: Apr 15 2009 at 9:19am
Hi,

I had the pleasure of hiring a Milwaukee S of E fresh grad who worked with us for 3+ years.  He came to us with very good recommendations from his clinical sites.  His clinical skills were of a very high caliber as was his knowledge base.  Based on that experience I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that program.  I don't have any base for commenting on the Rush program.
I would recommend finding out the ABCP pass/fail rate for graduating students from each program and factoring that into your decision.

Regards,
Bob LaPierre
CH Boston
 Post Reply Post Reply