I have a question Please read and help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tylerrr View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tylerrr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: I have a question Please read and help!
    Posted: Dec 06 2008 at 7:58pm
Hello. I am a Junior in High School as of now, and my ultimate dream is to become a Perfusionist. But first I have a few questions so please help me out!!Tongue

Questions:

1. Is it reletively "Hard" to bome come a perfusionist??
2. Do you have to be SUPER smart at math to becomeone?
3. What do you do to become one? I have heard conflicting stories. ex: You can major in Biology. And , you Have to major in Profusion Science
4. what is perfusion science?
5. Is it hard to get accepted into Perfusion school??
6. I plan on moving to sounthern California when i graduate, what is the salary of a Perfusionist there? And what is the salary right out of school?
7.can you please provide me with and useful info on a perfusionist?
8. is the job of a perfusionist ver very very stressful, and is it hard to do?

Thank you for you help!!!LOL
wade.landers View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote wade.landers Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: Dec 08 2008 at 11:27am

It seems as though no one is responding to your request, so I will try to answer the questions that I can.  I just got accepted to the perfusion program at the Texas Heart Inst., so some questions I can answer some I cannot.  The questions concerning working as a perfusionist will have to be answered by other members.

Question #1. I think it would depend who you ask, as will most answers to your questions.  It is harder to become a perfusionist than say a nurse, but easier than a physician assistant.  In the end, it will depend on your background, grades, and desire which you show in the application process.

Question #2. I wouldn’t say you have to be super smart at math to be a perfusionist (not even sure that you need college calculus as a prerequisite), but one should be comfortable with the biological science.

Question #3. Three different choices on becoming a perfusionist, and it would depend on the program.  Part of a BS, simply a certified program after a BS, or a master’s program.  You can read up on these at perfusion.com.

Question #5. Perfusion school is competitive due to the size of the programs (i.e. very small).  In my opinion though, desire can go a long way in that, perfusionist seem very practical about book smarts versus who would be a good clinical perfusionist in the OR.

Question #6. Job location can be a bit tricky.  Perfusion is a very small career field, and it can be hard to obtain a job in a specific location after graduation (i.e. one has to go where the jobs are open.)

Question #7. Would try to talk to a perfusionist in your area.  One can usually find them listed somewhere online.  Either through your state health department or national perfusion organizations.

Question #8. You do hear about how stressful the positions can be.  I will say this though; I have yet to actually meet a perfusionist who regrets going into the field.

I hope that some of this has helped.  If you have specific questions, you can e-mail me at wade.landers@gmail.com.

Sincerely,

J. Wade Landers

Post Reply Post Reply