Heparinization of blood prime.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ann-katrin.krokstrom View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ann-katrin.krokstrom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Heparinization of blood prime.
    Posted: Sep 12 2007 at 4:18am
For pediatric perfusion we use packed red blood cells in the prime.  The solution of 100mL PRBc contains 20% plasma. How much heparin do you think I should add to the prime, to make sure no clotting occurs? The child is heparinized before going on to a target ACT >400s. 100IU/kg of the child or 3IU/mL prime?
Ingela Andersson View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Quote Ingela Andersson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: Sep 12 2007 at 4:42am
I wonder the same. It gets to much with our 2500 U/ml in every case if the childs weight is 2,5 kg or 10 kg.
wesmck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote wesmck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: Sep 14 2007 at 11:11am
We have revisited this recently and decided to use 1000 units in our prime for patients 5kg or less which works out to about 3 units/ml of blood prime
racine View Drop Down
Pumpling
Pumpling

Quote racine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: Sep 25 2007 at 10:30am
As a non-pediatric perfusionist I have to ask, why would it even be necessary to add heparin unless you are intending to get to an absolute level of heparinization with such a small volume?   I guess that when I use a heparin-protamine titration system such as the HMS+, I consider the prime volume included in the calculation.   Am I understanding your question correctly?
Racine
 Post Reply Post Reply